Why Holiday Home Insurance Differs


Holiday home insurance is a specific type of insurance designed to protect your second property, whether you use it yourself or rent it out to others. It differs from regular home insurance in a few ways:

  • Coverage for unoccupied periods:

Since holiday homes are often vacant, standard insurance might not cover them. Holiday home insurance covers these unoccupied periods, which can be longer than the typical 30-60 days allowed in regular policies.

  • Rental property coverage:

If you rent out your holiday home, you’ll need additional coverage for risks associated with tenants. Holiday lets insurance, a type of holiday home insurance, covers things like accidental damage by guests and loss of rent due to insured events.

  • Tailored coverage options:

Holiday home insurance allows you to customize your policy to fit your needs. You can choose to insure the building itself, the contents, or both. You can also add extras like public liability (protects you if someone gets injured at your property) and employer’s liability (if you have staff like cleaners).

Do you want an instant quote on your holiday home? Click here for up to three quotes.

Here’s a summary of what holiday home insurance typically covers:

  • Buildings insurance: Protects the structure of your home from fire, storms, flooding, vandalism and other insured events.
  • Contents insurance: Covers the furniture, appliances and other belongings inside your holiday home.

Do I need holiday home insurance?

It’s not mandatory, but it’s highly recommended. While not legally required, mortgage lenders often require buildings insurance. It protects your investment from unexpected events and provides peace of mind. If you rent out your property, insurance becomes even more important to cover potential risks with tenants.

What is home insurance?

Home insurance is a financial safety net for your house and your belongings. It kicks in if something unexpected happens, like a fire, theft, or storm. There are generally two parts to home insurance:

  • Buildings insurance: This covers the physical structure of your home, including things like the roof, walls, plumbing, and electrical systems. It can also cover permanent fixtures and fittings, like built-in kitchen cabinets.
  • Contents insurance: This covers your personal possessions inside your home, like furniture, appliances, clothes, and electronics.

You can purchase these two types of coverage together in a combined policy, or you can buy them separately depending on your needs.

Need home insurance? Click and buy your policy now here – it only takes 30 seconds.

Here’s a breakdown of what home insurance typically covers:

  • Damage from natural disasters: Including things like fire, lightning, hail, wind, and tornadoes.
  • Theft: If your belongings are stolen, home insurance can help you replace them.
  • Vandalism: If your home is vandalized, home insurance can cover the cost of repairs.
  • Liability: If someone gets injured on your property, home insurance can help cover the costs of medical bills and legal fees.

Home insurance is a must-have for any homeowner. It can provide you with peace of mind knowing that you’re financially protected in case of the unexpected.

Imagine a cozy cabin tucked in the mountains or a beachside bungalow whispering promises of relaxation. These idyllic getaways, however, come with a responsibility – protecting your investment. While home insurance might seem like the answer, for holiday homes, a specialized approach is key. Here’s why holiday home insurance stands apart:

  • Vacancy Woes:

Standard home insurance often restricts the property from being unoccupied for extended periods, typically around 30 days. Holiday homes, by their very nature, sit vacant for much longer. Holiday home insurance acknowledges this, offering coverage for longer vacancy periods, sometimes stretching up to 60 days.

  • Risk Redefined:

Empty homes are unfortunately more susceptible to vandalism, theft, and even unnoticed damage from leaks or weather events. Holiday home insurance factors in this increased risk, providing tailored coverage for these scenarios.

  • Rental Revenue, Rental Risks:

If you plan on renting out your holiday home, standard insurance likely won’t cover any liability issues arising from guests. This insurance can be extended to include liability coverage, protecting you from potential financial woes.

  • Content Considerations:

Holiday homes might have specific contents – jet skis, swimming pool equipment, or outdoor furniture – not typically found in a primary residence. This can be customized to include coverage for these specialized possessions.

Do you require an instant quote? Click here now.

  • Security Matters:

Some insurers might offer additional benefits with holiday home insurance, like security system discounts or even help with arranging property checks while vacant.

In a nutshell, holiday home insurance recognizes the unique risks associated with a property that isn’t your primary residence. Therefore, it offers peace of mind by ensuring your vacation haven is protected, whether you’re enjoying a summer getaway or it’s quietly waiting for your next visit.

Want to discuss your holiday home? Call our sales director Charlotte Skinner today on 01273 827090 or click here.


Related Articles

Subscribe for all the latest updates from the iInsure365 News Centre