iinsure 365
Call us

For competitive landlord insurance call us now

01273 827090

What Is Block of Flats Insurance, And Why Might You Need It?

When you own a house, buildings insurance is relatively straightforward and simple. Your premium covers the structure of the property, and any outbuildings such as sheds and garages against the costs of damage for insured reasons set out by your insurance company.


But what if you live in a block of flats? Do you insure just your portion, or should you also take into consideration the entire property?


Depending on your circumstances: whether you’re a landlord, freeholder or leaseholder, block of flats insurance could prove more beneficial to you than standard buildings insurance.


Here’s a look at block of flats insurance and why you might need it.


More cover than standard buildings insurance


Standard buildings insurance will cover your property should costs be incurred for repairing or rebuilding due to an insured event specified in your insurance policy. This typically includes damage caused by:

  • flood
  • fire
  • burglary
  • storms
  • subsidence
  • lightning strikes
  • falling trees and branches


Most standard buildings insurance policies will also include damage to the building caused by leaks, faulty electrics, an electrical fire, burst water pipes. In most cases, buildings insurance will also cover outbuildings such as garden sheds, garden houses, pergolas, garages and even greenhouses.


If you live in a block of flats, standard buildings insurance may not cover areas such as:

  • Communal areas, hallways, stairs, landings, gardens
  • Shared contents such as communal equipment or furniture
  • Property owner’s liability outside of your flat

Specialist block of flats insurance covers all areas important to you and fellow residents in the block. It will give you the extra peace of mind you need and provide a more comprehensive cover than standard buildings insurance.


Who needs Block of Flats Insurance?


Just like standard buildings insurance, block of flats insurance isn’t a requirement by law. However, it can be particularly beneficial to:

  • Freeholders who own the entire building then rent out individual flats within the building
  • The property management company looking after the block of flats
  • Flat leaseholders who club together and decide to pay for blocks of flats insurance between them
  • Property developers and portfolio investors with a range of properties

What can Block of Flats Insurance cover?


  • Damage to the building caused by insured events such as flood, fire, storms, subsidence, vandalism and theft or attempted theft
  • Trace and access costs of finding and repairing leaking pipes
  • Communal areas such as outbuildings, hallways, lifts, stairs and gardens
  • Property owner’s liability to cover costs for claims made by someone who is injured in the block of flats insured
  • Employer’s liability to cover anyone employed to maintain the communal areas


Ilnsure365, landlords insurance specialists, can provide competitive Block of Flats insurance cover to suit your needs, including discounts for multiple properties. Whether you need insurance for a converted block, a purpose built property, or an entire portfolio of properties, we’ll find the right cover for you. Request a call back for a member of the team to discuss our policies with you.

The Difference Between Residential and Landlord Insurance

When you rent out a property, in whatever capacity, you need to have the right insurance in place for both you and your tenant.
Even if you’ve got residential insurance, it won’t be enough. Renting out a property brings a whole new set of risks with it. You need to be sure that your investment is as secure and as protected as possible.
Landlords insurance covers a whole range of risks that your residential insurance won’t. You run the risk of a claim rejection if you tried to claim on the residential insurance on your rental property.
So what are the main differences between Residential Building and Landlords Insurance?
Landlord insurance covers everything your residential insurance does such as buildings and contents. It can be tailored, though, and extended to cover tenanted property risks such as:

Re-housing Costs/Loss of Rent

This will cover if your property becomes uninhabitable due to insured events such as flooding or fire damage. Your residential insurance won’t cover this. Landlords insurance can also cover non-payments by defaulting tenants. It also allows for vacant periods between tenancies.

Malicious Damage/Theft

Landlords insurance covers wilful damage caused by tenants, unlawful activities and theft. Residential insurance will only cover acts of vandalism to your property,
It’s advisable to thoroughly screen tenants before letting your property. Even so, there’s no 100% guarantee that they will treat your property with respect. Landlords insurance gives you extra peace of mind that if your tenants mistreat your property, you’re covered.

Liability Cover

On the other hand, as a landlord, you have a duty of care to your tenants. Residential insurance public liability will cover you if someone injures themselves such as a tradesman or a guest. However, it won’t cover any accidents and injuries to your tenants. Serious injuries that result from landlord negligence like loose tiles, water leaks, broken floorboards or ripped carpeting could result in a hefty claim from your tenant. Without the right insurance, you could end up facing crippling costs that will affect your cash flow. Read more about the Human Habitation Bill and what it means for you as a landlord.

Legal Expenses

As your rental property qualifies as a business, you’ll need the right kind of insurance for legal liabilities. This is in the event that a tenant makes a claim against you. Or for you yourself if you intend to take a tenant to court for non payment of rent.
Landlords insurance may not be a compulsory legal requirement, but are you prepared to take the risk?
As landlords insurance specialists we can offer a tailored policy to cover all your requirements.

For competitive commercial insurance call us now

01273 827090

Get A Quote