iinsure 365
Call us

For competitive landlord insurance call us now

01273 827090

The Difference Between Residential and Landlord Insurance

When you rent out a property, in whatever capacity, you need to have the right insurance in place for both you and your tenant.
Even if you’ve got residential insurance, it won’t be enough. Renting out a property brings a whole new set of risks with it. You need to be sure that your investment is as secure and as protected as possible.
Landlords insurance covers a whole range of risks that your residential insurance won’t. You run the risk of a claim rejection if you tried to claim on the residential insurance on your rental property.
So what are the main differences between Residential Building and Landlords Insurance?
Landlord insurance covers everything your residential insurance does such as buildings and contents. It can be tailored, though, and extended to cover tenanted property risks such as:

Re-housing Costs/Loss of Rent

This will cover if your property becomes uninhabitable due to insured events such as flooding or fire damage. Your residential insurance won’t cover this. Landlords insurance can also cover non-payments by defaulting tenants. It also allows for vacant periods between tenancies.

Malicious Damage/Theft

Landlords insurance covers wilful damage caused by tenants, unlawful activities and theft. Residential insurance will only cover acts of vandalism to your property,
It’s advisable to thoroughly screen tenants before letting your property. Even so, there’s no 100% guarantee that they will treat your property with respect. Landlords insurance gives you extra peace of mind that if your tenants mistreat your property, you’re covered.

Liability Cover

On the other hand, as a landlord, you have a duty of care to your tenants. Residential insurance public liability will cover you if someone injures themselves such as a tradesman or a guest. However, it won’t cover any accidents and injuries to your tenants. Serious injuries that result from landlord negligence like loose tiles, water leaks, broken floorboards or ripped carpeting could result in a hefty claim from your tenant. Without the right insurance, you could end up facing crippling costs that will affect your cash flow. Read more about the Human Habitation Bill and what it means for you as a landlord.

Legal Expenses

As your rental property qualifies as a business, you’ll need the right kind of insurance for legal liabilities. This is in the event that a tenant makes a claim against you. Or for you yourself if you intend to take a tenant to court for non payment of rent.
Landlords insurance may not be a compulsory legal requirement, but are you prepared to take the risk?
As landlords insurance specialists we can offer a tailored policy to cover all your requirements.

For competitive commercial insurance call us now

01273 827090

Get A Quote