iinsure 365

For competitive landlord insurance call us now

01273 827090

Why do you need Contents Insurance?

We often find that landlords don’t realise that contents cover can be an additional extra. The new Commercial Insurance Act puts the responsibility on landlords. For them to ensure that they have the correct cover for their property. It is now law that landlords are responsible if they are not insured fully in the event of an insurance claim.
Landlords contents insurance usually covers single items such as damage to appliances that aren’t part of the building. These include freestanding ovens, washing machines and fridges. As well as beds, sofas and other freestanding items of furniture. Each individual policy is different therefore you need to ensure and check.
Not all landlord insurance policies cover landlord’s contents. It is difficult to define what the landlord’s contents are. Contents items, in practical terms, are those that would fall out if you were to turn the house upside down. The building insurance covers fixed items such as the following:
  • Fitted kitchens
  • Fitted bathroom units
  • Damage to floor coverings – includes carpets, lino and laminate floors but again each policy is different
  • Replacement of locks – in case they brake due to burglary and need replacing because of theft of keys
  • Alternative accommodation for tenants – the cost of accommodation for when the tenants cannot live in the property
All the above are individual to each policy, so ensure that you check your cover on this.


You will also find that most policies have public liability, this covers the cost of damage to someone else or their property. For example, the legal costs involved after a tenant injury or damage to a neighbours property following a burst pipe.

Are my Contents covered if they are damaged? 

Contents are all about items that are fixed to the property. You will often find that white goods aren’t always included in all policies and it is something that you would need to check. All policies are different. Some will repair what is there on a like for like basis and some will give full replacement. You should check your policy for your own peace of mind to ensure that it includes everything you need. Most Insurance Companies have terms and conditions which will outline any exclusions. If you have many appliances at the property then you should check with your insurance company that they are all covered.

A block of flats will need to check that the freeholder insurance covers the fixtures and fittings. If it doesn’t then it is something that you may wish to take out separate cover for. The policy may not cover furniture and other contents in a furnished property. They can be worth a lot so you may need a separate contents policy. 

We can tailor cover your assets to include buying contents as part of a complete landlords buildings insurance. We could also provide it as a stand-alone policy if required. Your items will be protected against damage or theft. Contents insurance for the landlord does not cover your tenants’ possessions. They will need to take out their own contents insurance if they wish to protect their belongings.

Are white goods covered for landlords contents insurance?

Not everyone’s insurance policy covers white goods insurance. We have an exclusive policy with Aviva insurance which includes landlord’s contents cover up to £5,000. This includes white goods whether fitted or not. Not all policies are the same though. Some landlord insurance policies do not include contents cover or it may be an optional extra. It is so important that you insure your house correctly.
Are you a student landlord and have furniture? Is this covered in your landlord’s contents insurance?
Most if not all insurance companies would not cover furniture within the property. They would treat this as an added extra. It is therefore important that you check what the policy includes for a furnished property. Look for a policy that will replace belongings on an old for new basis. This means that your possessions will be replaced with shiny new ones should you make a claim. Most student landlords don’t realise that their furniture isn’t covered in the event of a claim against theft, loss or damage by fire. Think how much it would cost to replace such furniture for you?

What else is covered?

You will also find within the landlords’ insurance there will be an automatic public liability. So if sued for damage or someone sells the property you’re covered. For example, if a burst pipe at your property causes a flood in your neighbour’s property. Or, if your tenants are injured in your property, you’re insured for legal costs and any potential compensation. But again, you need to check. In respect of the furniture, you need to make sure whether this is a new for old contents cover. Contents cover only covers when they will give you like for like but some are different.

Is it worth taking out an extended warranty to cover the white label goods?

Cookers, fridges, freezers, washing machines, dryers, dishwashers. Microwaves, TV, stereos and other entertainment systems may all require some form of extended warranty. You may buy this at the point of sale. However, it may not necessarily be the cheapest or best policy and you should always shop around. Insurance for your household appliances can act as an extended warranty. It will offer replacement and or repair of your items. You may consider it essential for items such as washing machines and fridges.

When bought new such goods should have the manufacturer’s warranty offering you a replacement or repair in the event of a fault. This protection may potentially last a year although sometimes they are longer and you should always check. If you want protection in the form of an extended warranty. Your best chance of finding the right deal at the right place may be shopping around and comparing prices.

What types of goods does appliance insurance cover?

Household appliance insurance can cover a huge variety of white goods and all those defined as audiovisual systems. Some of these are more typical such as cookers, microwaves, fridge freezers, washing machines. Tumble dryers, washers, dishwashers. Televisions, digital TV boxes, music systems, games systems, PCs, DVDs. You may want to include the guarantee of a speedy replacement or repair if you have gone to the expense of taking out such appliance insurance.

What are exclusions on appliance insurance extended warranties?

When you have taken out appliance insurance or an extended warranty it is important to understand the exclusions. Accidental death and theft, for example, are typical exclusions. Your own insurance policy may cover it though. If it relates to a rental home then accidental cover isn’t always included and you may need to take it as an additional extra.

Cosmetic damage may be an exclusion. Another exclusion to look out for is when the policy covers repair and labour but not the parts. If you have taken out insurance for an appliance that you already own lookout for the no-claim period. This means that you may not be able to claim for the first few days or weeks. All these policies are different and you need to be aware.

Do I need appliance insurance?

Before you take out the appliance insurance the first thing to do is look at the protection you already have. You may have a warranty already in place. Some manufacturers may even extend the lifetime warranty for free. You can ask for this at the point of sale. You also have consumer rights with anything you purchase. All goods should be expected to be of reasonable quality, to do their intended job and last for a reasonable length of time.

It may be possible to get help under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act if you use a credit card to pay for some of your goods. You may want to take this into account.

You should take all of these items into account when deciding on what insurance you need.

For competitive commercial insurance call us now

01273 827090

Get A Quote