Block of Flats Insurance


Block of flats insurance, also known as block insurance, is a specialist type of insurance designed to protect the building and its contents in a building containing multiple dwellings, such as flats or apartments. It is typically required by landlords or managing agents, but the responsibility for paying for it can vary depending on the lease agreement.

Block of flats insurance is designed for several parties involved in a multi-unit building, each with different needs for coverage:

  1. Freeholders:

  • This refers to the individual or entity that owns the entire building structure and potentially the land it sits on. They are legally responsible for insuring the building itself, including the exterior, communal areas, fixtures, and fittings. This includes elements like the roof, walls, elevators, shared hallways, staircases, and grounds.
  1. Leaseholders:

  • These are individuals who own the property rights to an individual flat within the building. Their responsibility for insurance depends on the terms of their lease agreement.
    • Typically, the lease will dictate whether they are responsible for insuring their own flat’s interior and contents. This would cover their personal belongings, fixtures, and fittings within their specific flat.
    • In some cases, the lease may require them to contribute to the block of flats insurance policy that the freeholder has in place.
  1. Management companies:

  • If the building has a dedicated management company responsible for its upkeep and maintenance, they may need specific insurance depending on their role and contractual obligations. This could cover their liability for actions they take or services they provide related to the building.

Also, Iinsure 365 can provide you with Right to manage insurance, do you want an instant quote? Click here.

  1. Commercial tenants:

  • If the building has any commercial units like shops or offices, they would typically need their own business insurance to cover their specific activities and assets within their rented space.

Who doesn’t need block of flats insurance?

  • Individual flat owners whose lease agreement explicitly states they are not responsible for contributing to the building’s insurance. Do not require additional coverage for their flat’s interior and contents.

It’s crucial to consult the lease agreement for each type of resident or stakeholder to understand their specific insurance requirements. Additionally, even if not legally required, having block of flats insurance is highly recommended for peace of mind and financial protection against unforeseen events like fire, water damage, theft, or vandalism.

Finally, do you need home insurance? Click here and buy your policy now – it only takes 30 seconds.